You CAN have a great relationship with your child!
On this episode, I’m going to tackle a Modern Parenting 101 topic: building a warm and positive parent-child relationship.
The topics that I believe are that are critical in getting right are topics that I’m calling Modern Parenting 101.
So far on this podcast, I’ve covered 3 out of 5 Modern Parenting 101 topics. Number 1 was parenting with confidence, number 2 was effective discipline techniques, and number 3 was all about kids and technology.
Today’s topic is the 4th Modern Parenting 101 topic, and it’s on the parent-child relationship – and when this relationship works well, most everything else falls into place, so putting effort into building – or repairing – your relationship with your child is critical.
I talked about TWO great free resources that can help you get your relationship with your child or teen back on track. Down load them here:
FREE RESOURCE #1
How To Have Difficult Conversations With Your Tween or Teen
Download now ⤵
FREE RESOURCE #2
10 Tips To Communicate, Even When You Disagree
Download now ⤵
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- [05:35] Attitude is everything! Learn what kind of parental attitude sets up a warm and close parent-child bond.
- [8:12] Find out how your non-verbal communications are hurting your relationship with your child, and how you can use non-verbal communication to improve your relationship.
- [13:10] Do you feel like you just CAN’T communicate with your child or teen? Learn the 3 steps to effective communication that will allow you to have great conversations with your child.
- [14:00] Step 1: Listening – you’re doing it wrong! Find out how to listen the right way.
- [16:30] Step 2: Validating – you don’t always have to agree with your child. Find out how to connect with your child even when you disagree with their thinking or behavior.
- [19:10] Step 3: Coaching – don’t TELL your child or teen what to do, help them figure it out for themselves! This builds a trusting relationship with your child.
- [24:25] I go over 4 of the biggest mistakes that I see parents making that is negatively affecting their relationship with their child. I want you to know these top 4 mistakes so you don’t make them with your child too!
The resources presented on the Modern Parenting Solutions website are not intended to replace therapy – they are for reference and educational purposes only. As every family is individual and unique in their strengths and weaknesses, the resources and advice supplied on this website are general in nature and should never replace any medical or psychological services that you may be currently engaged in. Please contact a mental health professional if you have any questions.
If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Unless otherwise specified, all content, ideas, and images on this site were created by and for Modern Parenting Solutions. You are welcome to use content from this blog, but please give credit to the original source.