Sooo….what is YOUR strategy for social media in your household?
Don’t have one? Well then this is the episode for you!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The pros (Yes! there are benefits for kids using social media!) and cons of tween and teens having a social media account
- My 5 best practices that all Modern Parents should adopt in order to teach their kids how to use social media safely and wisely.
- The answers to the top questions that I get from my private practice clients about kids and social media.
Also…in order to set you up for success in creating a social media strategy for your household, I’ve created a social media contract between parent and child that can be used as a tool to communicate your family’s guidelines about social media use.
Enter your email address in the box below to get this free parenting resource.
Contract Between Parent & Child: Social Media
Download now ⤵
This is the 4th episode in a 5-part series on kids and technology.
In the first episode, I talked in general terms about the pros and cons of kids and tech devices – including educating you on the reason why kids get addicted to tech devices and what you can do about it – but this episode is going to really provide knowledge on the best practices for safe and healthy smartphones use.
In the second episode, I talked all about kids and smartphones. Most kids have smartphones these days, and smart Modern Parents are being intentional about creating expectation and guidelines that serve to help their kids use this important device in a healthy and safe way.
In the third episode, I dove into the topic of kids and video games. This episode will give you everything your need to know in order to set up a home environment where your child has a healthy balance between gaming activities and non-gaming activities.
In next week’s episode, I’ll conclude the series on kids and technology by talking about kids and Youtube. If your tween or teen consumes hours of Youtube video – or has their own Youtube channel – you’ve got to listen to next week’s episode!
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- [03:15] Believe it or not, there are actually several benefits of allowing your child to have a social media account. I discuss 3 of those benefits with you.
- [6:30] There are also some pretty important areas of concern for allowing your child to be on social media. Here, I review these concerns with you.
- [10:15] I discuss the 5 best practices that every Modern Parent should adopt in order to encourage smart and healthy social media use by the tween or teen.
- [14:00] How old should kids be in order to have their own social media account?
- [13:30] How to know which video games are appropriate for your child.
- [14:35] Should you allow your child to play with strangers online?
- [15:30] How much time is too much time to be spending on social media?
- [16:50] How to ensure your child’s self-esteem isn’t affected by social media.
- [28:20] How to address bullying on social media.
You’re going to get some really great information in today’s episode!
One the next episode in this series on kids and technology, I’ll give you my best advice on kids and Youtube – both for tween and teen consumers of Youtube content AND for teens who might have their own Youtube channel.
The resources presented on the Modern Parenting Solutions website are not intended to replace therapy – they are for reference and educational purposes only. As every family is individual and unique in their strengths and weaknesses, the resources and advice supplied on this website are general in nature and should never replace any medical or psychological services that you may be currently engaged in. Please contact a mental health professional if you have any questions.
If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Unless otherwise specified, all content, ideas, and images on this site were created by and for Modern Parenting Solutions. You are welcome to use content from this blog, but please give credit to the original source.