Today’s episode continues the topic of kids and technology by diving into the topic of kids and video games.
I’ll provide the 6 best practices that I advise all Modern Parents to adopt when allowing their child or teen to play video games.
In addition, I’ve compiled the top questions that I get from my private practice clients and answer those in this podcast episode.
In order to set you up for success, I’ve created a free parenting resource called “Contract Between Parent & Child: Gaming”. This contract allows you to clearly communicate your expectations for gaming behavior (time spent playing video games, behavior while playing, etc.) AND stated the consequences that your child will earn if they don’t abide by these guidelines.
Contract Between Parent & Child: Video Games
Download Now ⤵
This is the 3rd episode in a 5-part series on kids and technology.
In the last episode, I talked all about kids and smartphones. Most kids have smartphones these days, and smart Modern Parents are being intentional about creating expectation and guidelines that serve to help their kids use this important device in a healthy and safe way.
In the first episode, I talked in general terms about the pros and cons of kids and tech devices – including educating you on the reason why kids get addicted to tech devices and what you can do about it – but this episode is going to really provide knowledge on the best practices for safe and healthy smartphones use.
I’ll also answer some of the most common questions that I get from parents in my private practice about kids and smartphones.
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- [03:44] I provide you with the 6 best practices for smart and healthy gaming.
- [8:21] What are the risks of too much gaming? This is important information to know ! Knowing this information will help you provide thoughtful answers to your child when they complain about your gaming guidelines.
- [09:15] How much time is too much time to be spending on video games?
- [11:50] What to do when your child tells you they’re bored and that all they want to do is play video games.
- [13:30] How to know which video games are appropriate for your child.
- [14:35] Should you allow your child to play with strangers online?
- [16:40] Does your child yell at the screen or at their peers when playing video games? Here’s my advice on how to solve this problem…
- [18:30] The topic of kids and parents playing video games is addressed.
- [20:00] How to help kids who don’t have many offline friends, only online ones.
- [21:30] How to support your chid’s autonomy when playing video games.
You’re going to get some really great information in today’s episode!
One the next episode in this series on kids and technology, I’ll give you my best advice on kids and social media – another BIG topic on the minds of Modern Parents.
The resources presented on the Modern Parenting Solutions website are not intended to replace therapy – they are for reference and educational purposes only. As every family is individual and unique in their strengths and weaknesses, the resources and advice supplied on this website are general in nature and should never replace any medical or psychological services that you may be currently engaged in. Please contact a mental health professional if you have any questions.
If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Unless otherwise specified, all content, ideas, and images on this site were created by and for Modern Parenting Solutions. You are welcome to use content from this blog, but please give credit to the original source.