Set your child or teen up for success by teaching them to use smartphones safely and wisely.
In today’s episode, I do a deep dive into the topic of kids and smartphones.
Last episode, I talked in general terms about the pros and cons of kids and tech devices – including educating you on the reason why kids get addicted to tech devices and what you can do about it – but this episode is going to really provide knowledge on the best practices for safe and healthy smartphones use.
I’ll also answer some of the most common questions that I get from parents in my private practice about kids and smartphones.
Contract Between Parent & Child: Smartphone Expectations
Download Now ⤵
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- [00:30] I talk about a sad family event that brought the kids and I together this week.
- [04:05] Summary of what we’ve learned so far about kids and tech use.
- [06:19] I provide you with some important stats on kids and smartphones. These stats are really important because they tell us how kids are using smartphones, and what we need to do as smart Modern Parents in order to monitor their use on this important device.
- [8:30] I give you my 5 best practices for kids and smartphone use. These best practices will help set your child up for success by using their smartphone safely, wisely, and responsibly.
- [16:15] When is a child ready to own a smartphone?
- [18:50] What if my child isn’t ready for a smartphone, but I want them to have a phone for safety reasons?
- [20:10] My child tells me that their phone is their “lifeline” with their fiends. I want them to be social, but where do I draw the line?
- [22:55] How do I allow my child to have autonomy with a smartphone?
- [25:55] Should I install a parental control app on my child’s smartphone?
- [26:55] How will I know if my child is gaining mastery with their smartphone use?
- [28:19] My child complain that my rules with the smartphone are too strict and that their friends’ parents are much more lenient. Do I have to make my rules less strict too?
You’re going to get some really great information in today’s episode!
This is the second in a series of episodes on kids and tech. In the next episode, I’m going to do a deep dive into best practices for healthy use of video games for kids and teens.
The resources presented on the Modern Parenting Solutions website are not intended to replace therapy – they are for reference and educational purposes only. As every family is individual and unique in their strengths and weaknesses, the resources and advice supplied on this website are general in nature and should never replace any medical or psychological services that you may be currently engaged in. Please contact a mental health professional if you have any questions.
If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Unless otherwise specified, all content, ideas, and images on this site were created by and for Modern Parenting Solutions. You are welcome to use content from this blog, but please give credit to the original source.