The Importance of Teaching Your Young Person to Live a Purposeful Life
Today’s episode title might make your anxiety spike, as I’m sure you’re already thinking, “As a parent, I need to ensure my young person is educated, I need to teach them to be kind and moral people, AND I have to help them develop their natural talents and interests…and now I also need to add growing their sense or purpose to the list? I can’t do it all!”
But I’m here to tell you that without focusing on your young person’s sense of purpose, then everything else you attempt to teach them will all be for nothing.
Because without a sense of purpose, all the good things you attempt to teach your young person will not get absorbed.
A sense of purpose gives your young person an understanding of how they fit into their family unit, their peer group, and into the larger world around them. Your young person has to know that they play a valuable role in those three areas in order to use their natural talents and abilities successfully AND to build warm and positive relationships with those around them.
This episode is for you if your young person struggles with the following:
- Lack of motivation
- Low self-esteem
- Poor friendships
- Living a “shallow life” (i.e., just interested in social media, Youtube, or video games).
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- [5:57] Why a lack of a sense of purpose is so destructive for your young person
- [6:28] How developing a sense of purpose creates a domino effect of other positive changes for your young person
- [8:37] The definition of the domino effect
- [12:02] Why taking the time to develop your young person’s sense of purpose is so important
- [17:31] My six tips on how to use daily interactions with your young person to help develop their sense of purpose
- [31:30] Putting it all together with an example.
Free Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- HELP YOUR CHILD FIND THEIR PASSIONS AND INTERESTS: CLICK HERE to download this free worksheet and begin exploring your young person’s natural passions, talents, and interests
- THE SUMMER SCHEDULE PLANNER: CLICK HERE to download this free guide and start planning for a worthwhile summer now.
Want more info on Modern Parent? Check out the great resources below…
- THE SELF-MOTIVATION CHEAT SHEET: CLICK HERE to download the free Self-Motivation Cheat Sheet
- THE SELF-MOTIVATION SUCCESS ACADEMY: Need more support in helping your child or teen master self-motivation? Then check out our online course for parents – The Self-Motivation Success Academy.
- NEWSLETTER: Click HERE to join my email newsletter and be the first to be notified of enrollment for the Self-Motivation Success Academy
- ASK ME A QUESTION OR BE ON THE SHOW: Send me an email at Podcast@ModernParentingSolutions.org and tell me about your Modern Parenting challenge. You might be a great fit for me to work with you on a future episode 🙂
- ONLINE PARENTING CLASSES: Check out our 100% court-approved classes by clicking HERE.
- PARENT COACHING: Want to work with me one-on-one? Click HERE to find out more.
Follow me on social media where you get daily tips, inspiration, and connection.